Monday, February 24, 2014

Admitting I have a Problem



My husband nicknamed me "Peeping Irene" a few years ago.  Please don't stop reading...I do NOT look into people's houses to catch glimpses of the unclad, I promise!  What I want is to check out their home.  Do they have crown molding?  What does the flow look like?  What interior design choices have they made?  I can also look at the exterior architecture of old houses for hours.  The older the better.  I feel as if it is food for my soul.  So, when we are in cities or towns with old buildings like Newport, I try to eat up as many of these images as possible until my family is literally pulling me away.
After Image

After Image

I apologize if you have ever seen me staring into your home from the sidewalk.  Please do not call the police, I promise I am not looking at you! Although, does that make it any better?

Back to realizing that it has gone way beyond normal -even though I now see I should have probably already realized this ;).  My husband and I were watching Walking Dead last night- an amazing show with such smart writing.  Since having to leave the prison, some of the characters have been staying in a house and foraging for food and supplies within others. If you have seen this show, you know how intense it can be both emotionally and visually.  Often, I need to turn away from the more gory scenes.  But guess what I have been looking at and paying attention to as opposed to the blood and despair?  The houses.  I believe they are in the Atlanta area.  Each house they have included has been wonderfully old, and full of beautiful architectural details.  On last night's episode, a new home (the one with the pink room for those who watch) was not only architecturally beautiful, but decorated impeccably.  This is the moment I realized I had a problem. While life and death scenes ensued on screen, I was checking out the bookshelf in the children's room. I was able to find it.  Isn't it so lovely?  Playful, but simple enough to even use in an adult space.

where to buy

And a cute piece of artwork with the following displayed.  So cute.  I had never seen this as part of children's decor, but as I was searching, I found many examples.  This is a decal you can buy from etsy.
Wall art - Kids Wall Decal  - Childrens Playroom Wall Decals - Play (pla) verb to make a big mess with toys. - Nursury wall quote -
decal


So, there you have it.  My name is Irene and I am a designaholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment